1. a substance used as a coating to protect or decorate a surface (especially a mixture of pigment suspended in a liquid); dries to form a hard coating
- artists use `paint' and `pigment' interchangeably
Similar word(s): pigment
2. (basketball) a space (including the foul line) in front of the basket at each end of a basketball court; usually painted a different color from the rest of the court
- he dominates play in the paint
Similar word(s): key
3. makeup consisting of a pink or red powder applied to the cheeks
Definition categories: man–made, makeup
Sentences with paint as a noun:
- The Nimrods are strong on the outside, but not very good in the paint.
- I am running low on paint for my marker.
1. make a painting
- he painted all day in the garden
- He painted a painting of the garden
2. apply paint to; coat with paint
- We painted the rooms yellow
3. make a painting of
- He painted his mistress many times
4. apply a liquid to; e.g., paint the gutters with linseed oil
Sentences with paint as a verb:
- to paint a portrait or a landscape
- I've been painting since I was a young child.
- She sued the author of the biography, claiming it painted her as a duplicitous fraud.