1. Indicating a soft flat sound, as of bare footsteps.
- I heard her soft footsteps, pad, pad along the corridor.
1. a number of sheets of paper fastened together along one edge
Similar word(s): tablet
2. the large floating leaf of an aquatic plant (as the water lily)
3. a block of absorbent material saturated with ink; used to transfer ink evenly to a rubber stamp
Definition categories: man–made, block
4. a flat mass of soft material used for protection, stuffing, or comfort
5. a platform from which rockets or space craft are launched
Similar word(s): launchpad
Definition categories: man–made, platform
6. temporary living quarters
Definition categories: man–made, quarters
7. the fleshy cushion-like underside of an animal's foot or of a human's finger
1. add details to
2. walk heavily and firmly, as when weary, or through mud
3. line or stuff with soft material
- pad a bra
4. add padding to
- pad the seat of the chair
Similar word(s): bolster
Sentences with pad as a verb:
- The author began to pad her succinct stories with trite descriptions to keep up with current market trends.
- "Obama pads delegate lead ... with win in key western state." Austin American-Statesman newspaper, May 21, 2008.
- to pad cloth