1. too much production or more than expected
Similar word(s): overproduction
Sentences with overrun as a noun:
- At least this year's overrun isn't as unmanageable as last year!
1. invade in great numbers
Similar word(s): infest
2. occupy in large numbers or live on a host
3. flow or run over (a limit or brim)
Similar word(s): overflow
4. seize the position of and defeat
- the Crusaders overran much of the Holy Land
5. run beyond or past
- The plane overran the runway
Sentences with overrun as a verb:
- The vine overran its trellis; the field is overrun with weeds.
- One line overruns another in length.
- In machinery, a sliding piece is said to overrun its bearing when its forward end goes beyond it.