1. a station in a remote or sparsely populated location
Similar word(s): outstation
2. a settlement on the frontier of civilization
3. a military post stationed at a distance from the main body of troops
Definition categories: man–made, post
Sentences with outpost as a noun:
- The outpost did not have enough ammunition to resist a determined assault.
- Sgt. Smith fleeced most of the rest of the outpost of their earnings in their weekly game of craps.
- Beyond the border proper, there are three small outposts not officially under government protection.