1. be against; express opposition to
- We oppose the ban on abortion
2. fight against or resist strongly
- The senator said he would oppose the bill
3. contrast with equal weight or force
Similar word(s): counterbalance
4. set into opposition or rivalry
5. act against or in opposition to
Similar word(s): react
6. be resistant to
- The board opposed his motion
Sentences with oppose as a verb:
- to oppose the king in battle; to oppose a bill in Congress
- There is still time to oppose this plan.
- Many religious leaders oppose cloning humans.
- They are opposed to any form of hierarchy.
- to oppose a rival for a prize