1. being the only one; single and isolated from others
- an only child
2. exclusive of anyone or anything else
- I'll have this car and this car only
Sentences with only as an adjective:
- He is the only doctor for miles.
- The only people in the stadium were the fans: no players, coaches, or officials.
- Only the cat sat on the mat. The dog never did.
- The only cat sat on the only mat.
- He is the only trombonist to recruit.
- He is their only son, in fact, an only child.
1. and nothing more
- he was only a child
2. without any others being included or involved
- a privilege granted only to him
3. with nevertheless the final result
- He arrived only to find his wife dead
- We won only to lose again in the next round
4. in the final outcome
- These news will only make you more upset
5. except that
- It was the same story; only this time she came out better
6. never except when
- call me only if your cold gets worse
7. as recently as
- I spoke to him only an hour ago
Sentences with only as an adverb:
- My heart is hers, and hers only.
- The cat only sat on the mat. It didn't scratch it.
- He left only moments ago.
1. Under the condition that; but.
2. But; except.
- I would enjoy running, only I have this broken leg.
1. (rare) An only child.