1. with little or no preparation or forethought
- offhand excuses
- trying to sound offhanded and reassuring
- an off-the-cuff toast
2. casually thoughtless or inconsiderate
- an offhand manner
- she treated most men with offhand contempt
Sentences with offhand as an adjective:
- She gave an offhand speech.
- He doesn't realise how hurtful his offhand remarks can be.
- She was quite offhand with me yesterday.
1. without previous thought or preparation
- couldn't give the figures offhand
- we decided offhand to go to Canada
- she had made these remarks offhandedly
2. in a casually inconsiderate manner
- replied offhand, his mind a million miles away
- she threw him over offhandedly without even a Dear-John letter