1. not in operation or operational
- the oven is off
- the lights are off
Similar word(s): disconnected
2. below a satisfactory level
- an off year for tennis
- his performance was off
Similar word(s): unsatisfactory
3. (of events) no longer planned or scheduled
- the wedding is definitely off
Similar word(s): cancelled
4. in an unpalatable state
5. not performing or scheduled for duties
- He's off every Tuesday
Similar word(s): inactive
Sentences with off as an adjective:
- All the lights are off.
- This milk is off!
- sales are off this quarter
- off to see the wizard
- And they're off! Whatsmyname takes an early lead, with Remember The Mane behind by a nose.
- the off horse or ox in a team, in distinction from the nigh or near horse
- He took an off day for fishing. an off year in politics; the off season
1. from a particular thing or place or position (`forth' is obsolete)
- went off to school
- they drove off
2. at a distance in space or time
- the boat was 5 miles off (or away)
- the party is still 2 weeks off (or away)
Similar word(s): away
3. no longer on or in contact or attached
- clean off the dirt
- he shaved off his mustache
Sentences with off as an adverb:
- He drove off in a cloud of smoke.
- Please switch off the light when you leave.
- He bit off more than he could chew.
- Some branches were sawn off.
1. (rare) beginning; starting point
- He has been very obviously an untrustworthy narrator right from the off.
1. Used to indicate movement away from a position on
- I took it off the table.; Come off the roof!
2. (colloquial) Out of the possession of.
- He didn't buy it off him. He stole it off him.
3. Away from or not on.
- He's off the computer, but he's still on the phone.; Keep off the grass.
4. Disconnected or subtracted from.
- We've been off the grid for three days now.; He took 20% off the list price.
5. Distant from.
- We're just off the main road.; The island is 23 miles off the cape.
6. No longer wanting or taking.
- He's been off his feed since Tuesday.; He's off his meds again.
7. Placed after a number (of products or parts, as if a unit), in commerce or engineering.
- Tantalum bar 6 off 3/8" Dia × 12" — Atom, Great Britain Atomic Energy Authority, 1972samples submitted … 12 off Thermistors type 1K3A531 … — BSI test report for shock and vibration testing, 2000I'd like to re-order those printer cartridges, let's say 5-off.