1. (obsolete) Consisting of eight; eight in number.
1. a feast day and the seven days following it
Definition categories: time
2. a musical interval of eight tones
3. a rhythmic group of eight lines of verse
Sentences with octave as a noun:
- The melody jumps up an octave at the beginning, then later drops back down an octave.
- The singer was known for astounding clarity over her entire five-octave range.
- The octave has a pitch ratio of 2:1.
- The bass starts on a low E, and the tenor comes in on the octave.