1. Turned or facing toward the observer.
- The obverse side of the gravestone has the inscription.
2. Corresponding; complementary.
- When you speak clearly, people understand you. If you don't mumble, the obverse effect is observed.
3. (botany) Having the base, or end next to the attachment, narrower than the top.
- an obverse leaf
1. the more conspicuous of two alternatives or cases or sides
- the obverse of this issue
2. the side of a coin or medal bearing the principal stamp or design
Definition categories: man–made, side
Sentences with obverse as a noun:
- The medal had a cross on the obverse and had a name inscribed on the reverse.