1. a V-shaped indentation
- mandibular notch
2. the location in a range of mountains of a geological formation that is lower than the surrounding peaks
Similar word(s): pass
3. a V-shaped or U-shaped indentation carved or scratched into a surface
- there were four notches in the handle of his revolver
4. a small cut
Sentences with notch as a noun:
- The notches in that tribe's warrior axe handles stand for killed enemies.
- This car is a notch better than the other.
1. cut or make a notch into
- notch the rope
2. notch a surface to record something
Sentences with notch as a verb:
- The tribe's hunters notch their kills by notches on each's axe's handle.
- The team notched a pair of shutout wins on Sunday.