1. not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances
2. being on the left side
- the near or nigh horse is the one on the left
- the animal's left side is its near or nigh side
Sentences with nigh as an adjective:
- The end is nigh!
1. near in time or place or relationship
- The end draws nigh
2. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but
- talked for nigh onto 2 hours
- the recording is well-nigh perfect
Sentences with nigh as an adverb:
- Achieving the summit in a single day is, well, nigh impossible.
1. near; close to
- When the Moon is horned ... is it not ever nigh the Sun?
1. To draw nigh (to); to approach; to come near.
- night is nighing, death is nighing
- nighing his hour
- a death-nighing moan