1. an impression in a surface (as made by a blow)
2. (British slang) a prison
- he's in the nick
Definition categories: man–made, prison
3. a small cut
Sentences with nick as a noun:
- in the nick of time
- a user's reserved nick on an IRC network
- The car I bought was cheap and in good nick.
- He was arrested and taken down to Sun Hill nick [police station] to be charged.
- He's just been released from Shadwell nick [prison] after doing ten years for attempted murder.
1. cut slightly, with a razor
- The barber's knife nicked his cheek
Similar word(s): snick
2. cut a nick into
Similar word(s): chip
3. divide or reset the tail muscles of
- nick horses
4. mate successfully; of livestock
Sentences with nick as a verb:
- I nicked myself while I was shaving.
- Someone's nicked my bike!
- The police nicked him climbing over the fence of the house he'd broken into.