1. immediately following in time or order
- next in line
- the next president
- the next item on the list
2. nearest in space or position; immediately adjoining without intervening space
- in the next room
- the person sitting next to me
3. (of elected officers) elected but not yet serving
- our next president
4. (of a day of the week) nearest (or nearest but one) after the present moment
- not this Saturday, next Saturday
- on Tuesday next
Similar word(s): succeeding
Sentences with next as an adjective:
- The next week is full.
1. at the time or occasion immediately following
- next the doctor examined his back
Sentences with next as an adverb:
- They live in the next closest house.
- It's the next best thing to ice cream.
- Next, we stripped off the old paint.
- Financial panic, earthquakes, oil spills, riots. What comes next?
- When we next meet, you'll be married.
1. The one immediately following the current or most recent one
- Next week would be a good time to meet.
- I'll know better next time.
2. Closest to seven days (one week) in the future.
- The party is next Tuesday; that is, not this Tuesday, but nine days from now.
1. The one that follows after this one.
- Next, please, don't hold up the queue!
1. On the side of; next to.