1. (religion) the world of the dead
Definition categories: thought
Sentences with netherworld as a noun:
- In some religions, one's soul departs to a netherworld, hell, instead of the heavens.
- While I was astrally projecting, I felt my soul pass through many insubstantial netherworlds.
- The missionary was motivated by a sincere desire to rescue souls from eternal torment in the netherworld.
- Richard had been initiated to the netherworld of dog racing by his father, and knew all the popular greyhound performance enhancing drugs.