1. the leaf of a conifer
Definition categories: plant
2. a slender pointer for indicating the reading on the scale of a measuring instrument
Definition categories: man–made, pointer
3. a sharp pointed implement (usually steel)
Definition categories: man–made, implement
4. a stylus that formerly made sound by following a groove in a phonograph record
Definition categories: man–made, stylus
Sentences with needle as a noun:
- The seamstress threaded the needle to sew on a button.
- The needle on the fuel gauge pointed to empty.
- Ziggy bought some diamond needles for his hi-fi phonograph.
1. annoy or provoke, as by constant criticism
- He needled her with his sarcastic remarks
Similar word(s): goad
2. prick with a needle
Sentences with needle as a verb:
- Billy needled his sister incessantly about her pimples.
- to needle crystals