1. not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances
- near neighbors
- in the near future
- they are near equals
2. being on the left side
- the near or nigh horse is the one on the left
- the animal's left side is its near or nigh side
3. closely resembling the genuine article
- near beer
- a dress of near satin
4. giving or spending with reluctance
- very close (or near) with his money
5. with or in a close or intimate relationship
- my sisters and brothers are near and dear
6. very close in resemblance
- a near likeness
Sentences with near as an adjective:
- a near friend
- a version near to the original
- a near escape
- The end is near.
- The two words are near synonyms.
- the near ox; the near leg
1. near in time or place or relationship
- as the wedding day drew near
- stood near the door
- don't shoot until they come near
2. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but
- he nearly fainted
- I was near exhausted by the run
Sentences with near as an adverb:
- I'm near-sighted.
1. The left side of a horse or of a team of horses pulling a carriage etc.
1. Close to, in close proximity to.
- There are habitable planets orbiting many of the stars near our Sun.
2. Close to in time.
- The voyage was near completion.