1. characteristic of or existing by virtue of geographic origin
- the native North American sugar maple
- many native artists studied abroad
2. belonging to one by birth
- my native land
- one's native language
3. characteristic of or relating to people inhabiting a region from the beginning
- native Americans
Similar word(s): aboriginal
4. as found in nature in the elemental form
- native copper
Similar word(s): pure
Sentences with native as an adjective:
- This is my native land.
- English is not my native language.
- I need a volunteer native New Yorker for my next joke…
- What are now called ‘Native Americans’ used to be called Indians.
- The native peoples of Australia are called aborigines.
- a native inhabitant
- native oysters or strawberries
- The naturalized Norway maple often outcompetes the native North American sugar maple.
- This is a native back-end to gather the latest news feeds.
- The native integer size is sixteen bits.
1. an indigenous person who was born in a particular place
- the art of the natives of the northwest coast
2. a person born in a particular place or country
- he is a native of Brazil
3. indigenous plants and animals
Sentences with native as a noun:
- Some natives must have stolen our cattle.