1. horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
2. a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
3. a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
Definition categories: quantity
Sentences with nail as a noun:
- When I'm nervous I bite my nails.
1. attach something somewhere by means of nails
- nail the board onto the wall
2. take into custody
3. hit hard
4. succeed in obtaining a position
- He nailed down a spot at Harvard
Similar word(s): peg
5. succeed at easily
- She nailed her astrophysics course
Similar word(s): ace
6. locate exactly
- The chemists could not nail the identity of the chromosome
Similar word(s): pinpoint
7. complete a pass
Similar word(s): complete
Sentences with nail as a verb:
- He nailed the placard to the post.
- He used the ax head for nailing.
- I really nailed that test.
- There’s a benefit gala at the Boston Pops tonight, and... well, I’m trying to nail the flautist. - Brian Griffin in the TV series Family Guy