1. the month following April and preceding June
Definition categories: time
2. thorny Eurasian shrub of small tree having dense clusters of white to scarlet flowers followed by deep red berries; established as an escape in eastern North America
Similar word(s): whitethorn
1. (obsolete, intransitive) To be strong; to have power (over). [8th-17th c.]
2. (obsolete, auxiliary) To be able; can. [8th-17th c.]
3. (intransitive, poetic) To be able to go. [from 9th c.]
4. (modal auxiliary verb, defective) To have permission to, be allowed. Used in granting permission and in questions to make polite requests. [from 9th c.]
- you may smoke outside;
5. (modal auxiliary verb, defective) Expressing a present possibility; possibly. [from 13th c.]
- he may be lying;
6. (subjunctive present, defective) Expressing a wish (with present subjunctive effect). [from 16th c.]
- may you win; may the weather be sunny
7. Used in modesty, courtesy, or concession, or to soften a question or remark.
8. To gather may.