1. independent in behavior or thought
- maverick politicians
Sentences with maverick as an adjective:
- He made a maverick decision.
- He is a maverick person.
1. someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action
Similar word(s): rebel
2. an unbranded range animal (especially a stray calf); belongs to the first person who puts a brand on it
Sentences with maverick as a noun:
- Florence Nightingale would have been perceived as a maverick during her early career, because she was prioritizing hygiene when everybody else involved in healthcare was focused on other things, such as surgery and pills. (Source: Edzard Ernst and Simon Singh, Trick or Treatment, 2008, p. 36-37.)
1. (US) To take an unbranded range animal.