1. one who suffers for the sake of principle
Similar word(s): sufferer
2. one who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty for refusing to renounce their religion
Sentences with martyr as a noun:
- Saint Stephen was the first Christian martyr.
- Stan is a martyr to arthritis, Chris a martyr to Stan's endless moaning about it.
1. kill as a martyr
- Saint Sebastian was martyred
2. torture and torment like a martyr
Sentences with martyr as a verb:
- Some religious and other minorities were martyred until extinction.
- Thou martyrest with sorrow and with smart. — Spenser