1. the world of commercial activity where goods and services are bought and sold
- without competition there would be no market
- they were driven from the marketplace
Similar word(s): marketplace
2. the customers for a particular product or service
- before they publish any book they try to determine the size of the market for it
3. a marketplace where groceries are sold
- the grocery store included a meat market
Similar word(s): grocery
4. the securities markets in the aggregate
- the market always frustrates the small investor
5. an area in a town where a public mercantile establishment is set up
Definition categories: man–made, outlet
Sentences with market as a noun:
- The privilege to hold a weekly market was invaluable for any feudal era burgh.
- We believe that the market for the new widget is the older homeowner.
- Foreign markets were lost as our currency rose versus their valuta.
- The stock market ceased to be monopolized by the paper-shuffling national stock exchanges with the advent of Internet markets.
1. engage in the commercial promotion, sale, or distribution of
- The company is marketing its new line of beauty products
2. buy household supplies
- We go marketing every Saturday
3. deal in a market
4. make commercial
Sentences with market as a verb:
- We plan to market an ecology model by next quarter.
- We marketed more this quarter already then all last year!