1. a quantifier that can be used with count nouns and is often preceded by `as' or `too' or `so' or `that'; amounting to a large but indefinite number
- many temptations
- the temptations are many
- a good many
1. An indefinite large number of.
- many people enjoy playing chess; there are many different ways to cook a meal
1. A multitude; a great aggregate; a mass of people; the generality; the common herd.
2. A considerable number.
1. A collective mass of people.
- Democracy must balance the rights of the few against the will of the many
- A great many do not understand this.
2. An indefinite large number of people or things.
- Many are called, but few are chosen.