1. a woman of refinement
2. a woman who runs a house of prostitution
Sentences with madam as a noun:
- Mrs Grey wondered if the outfit she was trying on made her look fat. The sales assistant just said, “It suits you, madam”.
- Later, Mrs Grey was sitting in her favourite tea shop. “Would madam like the usual cream cakes and patisserie with her tea?” the waitress asked.
- Selina kept pushing and shoving during musical chairs. The nursery school teacher said she was a bad-tempered little madam.
- After she grew too old to work as a prostitute, she became a madam.
1. (transitive) To address as "madam".