1. a compact mass
2. an abnormal protuberance or localized enlargement
3. an awkward stupid person
Definition categories: person
4. a large piece of something without definite shape
- a lump of coal
Similar word(s): hunk
5. (informal, as plural) A beating or verbal abuse.
- He's taken his lumps over the years.
Sentences with lump as a noun:
- Stir the gravy until there are no more lumps.
- a lump of coal; a lump of clay; a lump of cheese
- The money arrived all at once as one big lump sum payment.
- Do you want one lump or two with your coffee?
- Don't just sit there like a lump.
1. put together indiscriminately
- lump together all the applicants
Similar word(s): chunk
2. group or chunk together in a certain order or place side by side
Sentences with lump as a verb:
- People tend to lump turtles and tortoises together, when in fact they are different creatures.