1. relating to or applicable to or concerned with the administration of a city or town or district rather than a larger area
- local taxes
- local authorities
2. of or belonging to or characteristic of a particular locality or neighborhood
- local customs
- local schools
- the local citizens
3. affecting only a restricted part or area of the body
- local anesthesia
Sentences with local as an adjective:
- We prefer local produce.
- The patient didn't want to be sedated, so we applied only local anesthesia.
- Hawaiian Pidgin is spoken by the local population.
1. public transport consisting of a bus or train that stops at all stations or stops
- the local seemed to take forever to get to New York
Definition categories: man–made
2. anesthetic that numbs a particular area of the body
Sentences with local as a noun:
- It's easy to tell the locals from the tourists.
- I'm in the TWU, too. Local 6.
- The expresses skipped my station, so I had to take a local.
- I got barred from my local, so I've started going all the way into town for a drink.
- Functional programming languages usually don't allow changing the immediate value of locals once they've been initialized, unless they're explicitly marked as being mutable.