1. pertaining to living persons
- within living memory
2. true to life; lifelike
- the living image of her mother
Similar word(s): realistic
3. (informal) absolute
- she is a living doll
- scared the living daylights out of them
- beat the living hell out of him
Similar word(s): absolute
4. still in existence
- the Wollemi pine found in Australia is a surviving specimen of a conifer thought to have been long extinct and therefore known as a living fossil
5. still in active use
- a living language
Similar word(s): extant
6. (used of minerals or stone) in its natural state and place; not mined or quarried
- carved into the living stone
Similar word(s): live
Sentences with living as an adjective:
- Hunanese is a living language.
- These living conditions are deplorable.
- This is the living image of Fidel Castro.
- He almost beat the living daylights out of me.
1. the experience of being alive; the course of human events and activities
Similar word(s): life
2. people who are still living
- save your pity for the living
3. the condition of living or the state of being alive
4. the financial means whereby one lives
Sentences with living as a noun:
- What do you do for a living?
- plain living
1. present participle of live