1. showing or characterized by broad-mindedness
- a liberal newspaper
2. having political or social views favoring reform and progress
Similar word(s): left
3. tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition
- a liberal backer of the arts
5. not literal
Sentences with liberal as an adjective:
- He had a full education studying the liberal arts.
- He was liberal with his compliments.
- Add a liberal sprinkling of salt.
- Her parents had liberal ideas about child-rearing.
- Younger people tend to be more liberal than older people.
1. a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
2. a person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets