1. a professional person authorized to practice law; conducts lawsuits or gives legal advice
Similar word(s): attorney
1. (informal) To practice law.
2. To perform, or attempt to perform, the work of a lawyer.
3. To make legalistic arguments.
4. With "up", to acquire the services of a lawyer.
5. (colloquial, criminal law) With "up", to exercise the right to ask for the presence of one's attorney.
6. To barrage with questions in order to get the person to admit something, usually used in the past tense "[You've been] lawyered."