1. situated at or extending to the side
- the lateral branches of a tree
2. lying away from the median and sagittal plane of a body
- lateral lemniscus
Similar word(s): distal
Sentences with lateral as an adjective:
- Instead of a promotion, I opted for a lateral move to a similar position in the marketing department.
- The medial side of the knee faces the other knee, while the outer side of the knee is lateral.
- A fish senses changes in hydrodynamic pressure with its lateral line.
1. To move (oneself or something) in a lateral direction
2. (American football) To execute a lateral pass