1. immediately past
- last Thursday
- the last chapter we read
Similar word(s): past
2. coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining
- the last time I saw Paris
- the last day of the month
- had the last word
3. occurring at or forming an end or termination
- the last days of the dinosaurs
4. most unlikely or unsuitable
- the last person we would have suspected
- the last man they would have chosen for the job
Similar word(s): unlikely
5. occurring at the time of death
- his last words
- the last rites
Similar word(s): dying
6. conclusive in a process or progression
- a last resort
7. supreme; highest in degree; utmost.
- to the last measure of human endurance
- whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually
8. not to be altered or undone
- the arbiter will have the last say
9. lowest in rank or importance
- last prize
- in last place
Sentences with last as an adjective:
- “Eyes Wide Shut” was the last film to be directed by Stanley Kubrick.
- The last time I saw him, he was married.
- I have received your note dated the 17th last, and am responding to say that […] .
- He is the last person to be accused of theft.
- The last person I want to meet is Helen.
- More rain is the last thing we need right now.
- Japan is the last empire.
1. most recently
- I saw him last in London
2. the item at the end
- last, I'll discuss family values
Sentences with last as an adverb:
- When we last met, he was based in Toronto.
- I'll go last.
- last but not least
1. The (one) immediately before the present.
- Last night the moon was full.
- We went there last year.
- Last Tuesday was Hallowe'en.
2. (of a day of the week) Closest to seven days (one week) ago.
- It's Wednesday, and the party was last Tuesday; that is, not yesterday, but eight days ago.
1. the temporal end; the concluding time
2. the last or lowest in an ordering or series
- he was the last to leave
- he finished an inglorious last
3. a person's dying act; the final thing a person can do
- he breathed his last
4. the time at which life ends; continuing until dead
- a struggle to the last
Similar word(s): death
5. a unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds
6. a unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels
Definition categories: quantity
7. the final stage or concluding parts of an event or occurrence
- I had to miss the last of the movie
Similar word(s): end
8. holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes
Definition categories: man–made
1. persist for a specified period of time
- The bad weather lasted for three days
Similar word(s): endure
2. continue to live and avoid dying
- how long can a person last without food and water?
Definition categories: stative
Sentences with last as a verb:
- Summer seems to last longer each year.
- They seem happy now, but that won't last long.
- I don't know how much longer we can last without reinforcements.
- to last a boot