1. a metal pot for stewing or boiling; usually has a lid
Similar word(s): boiler
Definition categories: man–made, pot
2. the quantity a kettle will hold
Similar word(s): kettleful
3. (geology) a hollow (typically filled by a lake) that results from the melting of a mass of ice trapped in glacial deposits
4. a large hemispherical brass or copper percussion instrument with a drumhead that can be tuned by adjusting the tension on it
Definition categories: man–made
Sentences with kettle as a noun:
- To cook pasta, you first need to put the kettle on.
- There's a hot kettle of soup on the stove.
- Stick the kettle on and we'll have a nice cup of tea.
1. (Britain, of the police) To contain demonstrators in a confined area.