1. the inner and usually edible part of a seed or grain or nut or fruit stone
- black walnut kernels are difficult to get out of the shell
Similar word(s): meat
Definition categories: plant
2. a single whole grain of a cereal
- a kernel of corn
3. the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
Sentences with kernel as a noun:
- the kernel of an argument
- The Dirichlet kernel convolved with a function yields its Fourier series approximation.
- If a function is continuous then its kernel is a closed set.