1. the part of the skull of a vertebrate that frames the mouth and holds the teeth
2. the bones of the skull that frame the mouth and serve to open it; the bones that hold the teeth
3. holding device consisting of one or both of the opposing parts of a tool that close to hold an object
Definition categories: man–made
Sentences with jaw as a noun:
- His jaw dropped in amazement.
- the jaws of a pass; the jaws of darkness; the jaws of death.
- the jaw of a railway-car pedestal.
- the jaws of a vise; the jaws of a stone-crushing machine.
1. (used in certain set phrases like jaw harp, jaw harpist and jaw's-trump)
1. talk socially without exchanging too much information
2. talk incessantly and tiresomely
Similar word(s): yack
3. chew (food); to bite and grind with the teeth
- He jawed his bubble gum
4. censure severely or angrily