1. a vessel (usually cylindrical) with a wide mouth and without handles
Definition categories: man–made, vessel
2. the quantity contained in a jar
- he drank a jar of beer
Similar word(s): jarful
3. a sudden jarring impact
- all the jars and jolts were smoothed out by the shock absorbers
1. be incompatible; be or come into conflict
2. move or cause to move with a sudden jerky motion
Similar word(s): jolt
3. shock physically
4. affect in a disagreeable way
- This play jarred the audience
5. place in a cylindrical vessel
- jar the jam
Sentences with jar as a verb:
- He hit it with a hammer, hoping he could jar it loose.
- I think the accident jarred him, as he hasn't gotten back in a car since.
- The notes jarred on my ears.