1. promise of reimbursement in the case of loss; paid to people or companies so concerned about hazards that they have made prepayments to an insurance company
2. written contract or certificate of insurance
Similar word(s): policy
3. protection against future loss
Similar word(s): indemnity
Sentences with insurance as a noun:
- The car was totalled, but fortunately I had insurance.
- After five years in banking, I switched to insurance.
- The sky was clear, but I took my umbrella for insurance.
- I only take insurance if the count is right.