1. place ceremoniously or formally in an office or position
- there was a ceremony to induct the president of the Academy
2. accept people into an exclusive society or group, usually with some rite
Similar word(s): initiate
3. admit as a member
- We were inducted into the honor society
4. produce electric current by electrostatic or magnetic processes
Similar word(s): induce
5. introduce or initiate
- The young geisha was inducted into the ways of her profession
Sentences with induct as a verb:
- Franklin was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, the first female inductee […]
- It is my pleasure to induct the new Officers for this coming term.
- She was inducted into the ways of the legal profession.
- At the time of war the President is authorized by law to induct persons into the armed forces involuntarily.
- The ceremonies in the gathering were first inducted by the Venetians.