1. A place in which things are impounded.
2. A state of being impounded.
3. That which has been impounded.
4. (law, banking) Amounts collected from a debtor and held by one with a security interest in property for payment of property taxes and insurance.
1. take temporary possession of as a security, by legal authority
- The customs agents impounded the illegal shipment
2. place or shut up in a pound
Similar word(s): pound
Sentences with impound as a verb:
- His car got impounded after he'd parked illegally.
- to impound stray cattle; to impound a document for safe keeping.