1. requiring attention or action
- as nuclear weapons proliferate, preventing war becomes imperative
- requests that grew more and more imperative
2. relating to verbs in the imperative mood
Sentences with imperative as an adjective:
- It is imperative that you come here right now.
- imperative orders
1. a mood that expresses an intention to influence the listener's behavior
2. some duty that is essential and urgent
Sentences with imperative as a noun:
- The verbs in sentences like "Do it!" and "Say what you like!" are in the imperative.
- Visiting Berlin is an imperative.