1. an erroneous mental representation
Similar word(s): semblance
2. something many people believe that is false
- they have the illusion that I am very wealthy
3. the act of deluding; deception by creating illusory ideas
Similar word(s): delusion
4. an illusory feat; considered magical by naive observers
Sentences with illusion as a noun:
- We saw what looked like a tiger among the trees, but it was an illusion caused by the shadows of the branches.
- Using artificial additives, scientists can create the illusion of fruit flavours in food.
- Jane has this illusion that John is in love with her.