1. the distinct personality of an individual regarded as a persisting entity
- you can lose your identity when you join the army
Similar word(s): individuality
2. the individual characteristics by which a thing or person is recognized or known
- geneticists only recently discovered the identity of the gene that causes it
- it was too dark to determine his identity
- she guessed the identity of his lover
3. an operator that leaves unchanged the element on which it operates
- the identity under numerical multiplication is 1
4. exact sameness
- they shared an identity of interests
Sentences with identity as a noun:
- I've been through so many changes, I have no sense of identity.
- This nation has a strong identity.