1. the content of cognition; the main thing you are thinking about
- it was not a good idea
Similar word(s): thought
2. your intention; what you intend to do
- the idea of the game is to capture all the pieces
Similar word(s): mind
3. a personal view
- he has an idea that we don't like him
4. an approximate calculation of quantity or degree or worth
- a rough idea how long it would take
5. (music) melodic subject of a musical composition
- the accompanist picked up the idea and elaborated it
Similar word(s): theme
Sentences with idea as a noun:
- The mere idea of you is enough to excite me.
- I have an idea of how we might escape.
- He had the wild idea that if he leant forward a little, he might be able to touch the mountain-top.