1. of or relating to the study of history
- historical scholars
- a historical perspective
2. having once lived or existed or taken place in the real world as distinct from being legendary
- the historical Jesus
- doubt that a historical Camelot every existed
- actual historical events
3. belonging to the past; of what is important or famous in the past
- historic victories
- historical (or historic) times
- a historical character
4. used of the study of a phenomenon (especially language) as it changes through time
Similar word(s): diachronic
Sentences with historical as an adjective:
- July 4, 1776, is an historic date. A great deal of historical research has been done on the events leading up to that day.
- The historical works of Lord Macaulay and Edward Gibbon are in and of themselves historic.
- The Royal Historical Society / The State Historical Society of Wisconsin
1. A historical romance.