1. belonging to the past; of what is important or famous in the past
- historic victories
- historical (or historic) times
- a historical character
2. important in history
- the historic first voyage to outer space
Similar word(s): important
Sentences with historic as an adjective:
- A historic opportunity
- July 4, 1776, is an historic date. A great deal of historical research has been done on the events leading up to that day.
- The historical works of Lord Macaulay and Edward Gibbon are in and of themselves historic.
- The historic tenses include the imperfect, the pluperfect, and the future perfect.
1. (obsolete) A history, a non-fiction account of the past.
2. (obsolete) A historian.