1. either side of the body below the waist and above the thigh
Definition categories: body
2. the structure of the vertebrate skeleton supporting the lower limbs in humans and the hind limbs or corresponding parts in other vertebrates
Similar word(s): pelvis
3. the ball-and-socket joint between the head of the femur and the acetabulum
Similar word(s): coxa
4. (architecture) the exterior angle formed by the junction of a sloping side and a sloping end of a roof
Definition categories: shape
5. the fruit of a rose plant
Similar word(s): rosehip
1. (chiefly sports) To use one's hips to bump into someone.
2. To throw (one's adversary) over one's hip in wrestling (technically called cross buttock).
3. To dislocate or sprain the hip of, to fracture or injure the hip bone of (a quadruped) in such a manner as to produce a permanent depression of that side.
4. To make with a hip or hips, as a roof.
5. (transitive, slang) To inform, to make knowledgeable.