1. steering mechanism for a vessel; a mechanical device by which a vessel is steered
Definition categories: man–made
2. (figurative) a position of leadership
- the President is at the helm of the Ship of State
Sentences with helm as a noun:
- the helm of the Commonwealth
- (They drew their swords and put on their helmen.)Þe helm of hel and þe swerd of þe Spirit. — An Apology for Lollard Doctrines, Attributed to Wycliffe, 1475The kynge Ban be-gan to laugh vndir his helme. — Merlin, 15001927, Edgar Rice Burrows, The Outlaw of Torn, HTML edition, The Gutenberg Project, published 2008:"A fearful apparition," murmured Norman of Torn. "No wonder he keeps his helm closed."