1. A greeting (salutation) said when meeting someone or acknowledging someone’s arrival or presence.
- Hello, everyone.
2. A greeting used when answering the telephone.
- Hello? How may I help you?
3. A call for response if it is not clear if anyone is present or listening, or if a telephone conversation may have been disconnected.
- Hello? Is anyone there?
4. (colloquial) Used sarcastically to imply that the person addressed or referred to has done something the speaker or writer considers to be foolish.
- You just tried to start your car with your cell phone. Hello?
5. An expression of puzzlement or discovery.
- Hello! What’s going on here?
1. an expression of greeting
- every morning they exchanged polite hellos
1. (transitive) To greet with "hello".