1. able to perceive sound
Sentences with hearing as an adjective:
- Deaf people often must deal with hearing people.
1. (law) a proceeding (usually by a court) where evidence is taken for the purpose of determining an issue of fact and reaching a decision based on that evidence
2. an opportunity to state your case and be heard
- they condemned him without a hearing
Similar word(s): audience
3. the range within which a voice can be heard
4. the act of hearing attentively
- they make good music--you should give them a hearing
Similar word(s): listening
5. a session (of a committee or grand jury) in which witnesses are called and testimony is taken
- the investigative committee will hold hearings in Chicago
6. the ability to hear; the auditory faculty
- his hearing was impaired
Similar word(s): audition
Sentences with hearing as a noun:
- My hearing isn't what it used to be, but I still heard that noise.
- There will be a public hearing to discuss the new traffic light.
1. present participle of hear