1. perceive (sound) via the auditory sense
2. get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally
Definition categories: cognition
3. examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process
- The jury had heard all the evidence
Similar word(s): try
4. receive a communication from someone
- We heard nothing from our son for five years
5. listen and pay attention
- We must hear the expert before we make a decision
Similar word(s): listen
Sentences with hear as a verb:
- I was deaf, and now I can hear.
- I heard a sound from outside the window.
- Eventually the king chose to hear her entreaties.
- Your case will be heard at the end of the month.
- You're tired of all the ads on TV? I hear ya.